Monday, July 22, 2013

Life is Good! (Going Paleo)

Today as I sit at my computer and wonder what to write about, I look up to the sign posted above my kitchen sink that reads "life is good".  And I remember the last six months have been quite the journey for me.  
At the beginning of the year, I felt strongly guided to the Paleo diet (no grains, legumes, sugar or dairy). This was prompted by some health challenges that my 3and1/2 year old was dealing with.  I have known since his gestation period that this child is incredibly gifted and influential.  He possesses a confidence that I currently lack, a compassion that emulates Christ, and the optimism that makes the most dismal situations light and bearable. He is an incredible example to me.  I am not surprised by the dietary challenges that he has.  In fact, I imagine before we came to earth, he knew we would be his family, what our challenges would be, and I believe that he specifically selected these challenges, not because they would bless him in particular, but because they would bless me - his mother - and they would bless our entire family as we adopted the same dietary lifestyle that he enjoys (truly it is enjoyment because he is no longer crying in pain from food eaten the day before).  
The first 30 days of going cold turkey Paleo were the hardest.  I was motivated for the health of my son, yet I was still in the thick of depression.  Every single meal was a feat.  All of the recipes and ingredients were new.  My unadventurous 5 year old began losing weight because she didn't have any foods with which she was familiar.  My energy levels were depleted and I still had an infant who was completely dependent on me for nourishment.  The real kicker came when my 3 year old, my optimistic, complimentary, will eat-anything-I-put-in-front-of-him child came to me one day and said, "Mom, I don't want to eat any more squash."  I cried.  And I cried every day for a whole week.  I just didn't know what else to feed him.  
And then, our loving and merciful Father in Heaven arranged for my path to cross with a dear friend who had similar allergies as my boy.  When I arrived at her house, she had a whole meal spread out, complete with goodies for my little boy.  I cried again!!  And then she taught me.  She sent me home with a few ingredients to make my week easier, and told me what to buy from where.  She was truly heaven sent. 
With my newfound courage and my friend on speed dial,  I cleared my schedule for the following week in order to spend all day in the kitchen...failing as fast as I could.  I reasoned that the biggest problem I had was a lack of experience cooking appetizing meals with so many new ingredients.  I knew I needed at least one edible meal per day.  I  have always enjoyed making soup and was very comfortable with that, so I opted to make soup every day that week, while I tried other new recipes out of my comfort zone.  I needed to master some sort of bread especially for my 5 year old.  I came across a recipe book by Elena Amsterdam from elenaspantry.com, entitled Gluten Free Cupcakes.  I bought it and made cupcakes to go with the soup every day.  My 5 year old was happy.  My 3 year old was happy and I was happy!!  
As we have continued our Paleo journey, my cooking skills have improved.  I occasionally have to throw out dinner, (but only after we've eaten enough to get by for that evening.) I have found that Elena's "Classic Biscuit" from The Almond Flour Cookbook, or a homemade yogurt popcicle is perfect to top us off on these nights. My 5 year old who would only eat hotdogs and cheese quesidillas before going Paleo, will now eat oatmeal (the only grain we have kept), carrots, salad, boiled eggs, a variety of fruits, granola, assorted nuts, chicken in varied forms, and who is eating a small box of raisins as I type.  My 3 year old is beginning to have increased respiratory function (he was dealing with some exercise induced asthma triggered by certain foods).  His eyes are turning back from cloudy orange to his sparkly blue.  Emotionally, I am in a much healthier state.  When I eat clean, I feel better about myself.   I feel my brain healing.  I am a much nicer wife and mommy!  I LOVE THAT!!!    
I am filled with gratitude for my life experience.  It is good! And I am grateful!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment